Powered by Blogger.

Low Sugar Fruit Muffins

Monday 4 August 2014
Despite being on a low sugar and low GI diet for Gestational Diabetes, I do like the occasional baked treat.  I've been adapting recipes to lower the sugar content and using wholemeal flours.  My family haven't minded the changes, they would certainly let me know if they did! 

These muffins are filling and tasty, you can use whatever fruit you have on hand.  This batch was apple and blueberry, using apples from our tree in the back garden and reduced for quick sale blueberries from the supermarket. I baked a second batch using over-ripe nectarines that needed using up and they were delicious.  The only sweetness comes from a little honey and the natural sugars in the fruit so ripe or almost over-ripe fruit is best as it tends to have more flavour.



Low Sugar Fruit Muffins

200g ground almonds
100g plain wholemeal flour
2tsp baking powder
4 free range eggs
60 ml olive oil
1 or 2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tblsp of warm honey
200g fresh blueberries or other prepared fruit

Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.  Line a muffin tray with paper cases.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Make a well in the center then add the eggs, oil, vanilla and warm honey.  Gently mix to form a batter but don't over mix or beat the mixture otherwise your muffins will be heavy and tough.  Stir through the blueberries or whatever other fruit you are using.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden outside and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean from crumbs.


10 comments:

  1. love how healthy and guilt free the muffin recipe is.. definitely perfect for my afternoon snack when my sugar cravings hit. thanks for the idea and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this one stood out to me as I have been on a low GI diet too but recently I've been bad. Now if I can ease myself in with something like this I would be very happy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great muffins Michelle! I'm seriously reducing the amount of refined sugar we eat and so I'm always on the look out for new ideas when it comes to baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not on a GI diet myself, but these will be tasty regardless! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great, I love baking with ground almonds! They give such a wonderful texture.

    http://www.audacityoffood.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Michelle. Send some this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fab - perfect for kids when you're trying to cut down on the amount of sugar they have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these sound great Michelle. ground almonds give such a lovely texture and honey gives a nice sweetness here. Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. You probs already know this but cinnamon is blood sugar lowering so this is actually good for you too! And cinnamon is good at fooling your brain into thinking something is sweeter than it is. Vanilla too. Enough nutrition-speak, these look terrific on their own merit. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to make muffins healthier but still delicious

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top