Powered by Blogger.

Breakfast Cookies

Wednesday 25 November 2015
Time can be short in the mornings and whilst I always ensure that my family have a good breakfast, I find myself sometimes forgetting to eat or waiting until after the school run to have breakfast at which point I am ravenous.

To solve this conundrum, on the mornings when I can't manage a decent breakfast, I baked these Breakfast Cookies and eating one is enough to get me through until after the school run.  My daughters like them in their lunchboxes for an energy boosting snack.  They are also great for an afternoon pick-me-up.  

These are also much cheaper than the breakfast biscuit offerings in the supermarket, and I know exactly what is in them.  I vary the dried fruit depending on what we have in the cupboard and also add some seeds for extra texture and nutritional value.  You can use vegetable or rapeseed oil instead of coconut oil if you prefer.  



Breakfast Cookies

150g rolled oats (use gluten free if necessary)
70g unsweetened dessicated coconut 
60g toasted slivered almonds
100g dried fruit, roughly chopped if necessary
30g mixed seeds
3 medium over ripe bananas, mashed 
1 Tblsp coconut oil, warmed 
1 Tblsp honey or maple/golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Heat oven to 180C/160C Fan. Line two oven trays with non stick baking paper.  Combine the oats, coconut, slivered almonds, dried fruit, and mixed seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug combine the bananas, oil, honey/syrup and vanilla.  Pour into the dry ingredients then mix until totally combined.  

Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls, put onto prepared trays and flatten slightly.  I made approximately 15 - 18 cookies.  Bake for approx 10 - 12  minutes, or until golden on top.






2 comments:

  1. Your cookies look delicious Michelle, a great idea for a quick breakfast & healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of making something like this for breakfast. They would be perfect for my teen in the morning as she always wants something quick on her way to school x

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top