Powered by Blogger.

Carrot and Coriander Soup - Sort of

Wednesday 15 February 2012
We have been the house of lurgy this week and sore throats are making eating an uncomfortable process.  Therefore I decided to make soup for lunch today.  My 3 girls are at that delightful stage where they are feeling a little better but not well enough to go out and do things.  You know the stage where they delight in torturing each other and find new and inventive ways to wind each other up? Yup, that stage! GRRRRRR!

So as an antidote to all the whinging and bickering I got them to help make the soup.  They could exercise their frustrations on vegetables instead of each other. LOL

The recipe for Carrot and Coriander Soup in our Meal Plan this week was as follows:

1 large onion, diced
1 large sweet potato or potato
500g carrots
1 Tblsp ground coriander
400ml milk
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 400ml boiling water
1 Tblsp vegetable oil
Ground black pepper and salt to taste

Peel and chop the sweet potato and carrots into smallish chunks. Saute the onion in the oil for a couple of minutes until it’s softened. Add the ground coriander and stir for 1 more minute. Put the carrots and sweet potatoes into the saucepan and add the stock and milk.

Bring everything to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. When the vegetables are tender blend the soup with a stick blender until smooth and then serve with homemade bread rolls.

So how/what did we do?

I substituted the onion for a couple of leeks, added a parsnip but kept the rest of the recipe the same.  My 12yo was in charge of stirring the soup as she admits she likes stirring (ain't that the truth!).  I blended the soup and the end with my trusty stick blender, because I LOVE power tools, especially in the kitchen LOL

Sauteing the vegetables and adding the ground coriander

Simmering the soup

Blending the soup, I love power tools LOL

Our delicious soup!
 Apologies for the quality of the photos, I took them on my phone whilst we were cooking.  The soup freezes well too and, because we made plenty, I will be giving some to a couple of people in our street who will appreciate a free, wholesome meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top