Powered by Blogger.

Spicy Apple or Pear Cake

Tuesday 7 February 2012
I really hate wasting food, it's not only a waste of resources but money too, and that really annoys me.  I try to make use of any leftovers we might have and also use up any fresh fruit and vegetable that are getting past their best.  I had some pears in the fruit bowl that were getting a little over ripe and needed using up asap.  I decided to make a spicy pear cake using the recipe that I normally put apples in.  It is rather tasty and great with a cuppa!

1 cup sugar

1 large free range egg

2 large apples or pears

100g butter, melted and cooled

1 cup plain flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp mixed spice

1 tsp baking soda

Preheat your oven to 180C and line a 20cm round or square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.

Beat the egg and sugar together until well combined.  Gradually add the melted butter and ensure it is mixed in thoroughly.  Peel and chop the apples or pears in to small chunks and stir through the mixture.  Sift the flour, spices and baking soda over the top and fold in until thoroughly combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes, sometimes longer depending on the size of your tin.  Test the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre.  If it comes out crumb free then the cake is cooked.  The cake should also spring back when lightly pressed in the middle.

Leave the cake in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.  This is fab with a little cream on the side, or served warm for pudding with custard.




3 comments:

  1. I must give this a go - I often find a glut of either apples that haven't been eaten in a packed lunch and become bashed - or pears that have passed through the 'bullet hard or shmush' window without me noticing. This looks like a great recipe for dealing with either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great recipe, Michelle. Really economical to make and a great use of fruit which is past its best.

    Thank you for sharing this. I might make it at the children's cookery course I teach too : )

    Charlotte
    @gofreecakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spicy fruit cakes like this. I never actually make them but know I should - it reminds me of things my mum used to make.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top