Powered by Blogger.

Day 5 - Live Below the Line, done for another year

Friday 8 May 2015
The end of my Live Below the Line 5 days!  Despite living on £1 per day for food for the last 5 days I have no idea what it is like to live in extreme poverty. We are housed, have comfy beds to sleep in, we have reliable gas and electricity supplies which we can afford.  There is free access to healthcare.  
Those in extreme poverty live on £1 or less each day, which not only has to pay for food but for all other living costs.  I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult this is, there is no way this campaign can show is what the reality of their lives is like.

However, taking part in Live Below the Line is an invaluable life experience in terms of the challenge of lack of choice, much less food, and how limiting it is socially not being able to participate in get together because you're unable to afford it.  It shines a light on the plight of those with much less than us and helps raise money to help them.

We take so much for granted.  I don't need to worry about where my next meal is coming from, or how I am going to cook it.  What got me through the 5 days was being organised and portioning out my provisions.  I realised we can get by on much less food than we think we can, and it took a great deal of stubbornness and determination to get through the 5 days.  

What I missed most was coffee, and the choice of what to eat and when.  We Meal Plan each week but there are snacks, drinks and a level of choice built into that.  I didn't miss sweet treats, I missed cheese and salads, and steamed greens.

My milk supply held up fairly well but I think if I had to live below the line consistently it would gradually diminish or not be of sufficient quality to sustain bubs.  No wonder those in poverty have a higher use of formula to feed their babies.  Both bubs and I will be relieved that the 5 days is over.  

Tomorrow I shall drink a very large coffee and when I do I will reflect back on a hard but worthwhile week.  It's never a bad thing to try and help others and see what life is like for those less privileged than ourselves.


1 comment:

Back to Top